Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Joys of Summer... Almost.

Every evening around 6p Avery runs to the front screen door, beckoned by the ring-a-ling of our local Music Man (ice cream truck). I don't know how that man listens to a high-pitched version of 'the entertainer' on endless repeat and is not criminally insane. But, I digress....

Since Avery is allergic to ALL dairy, she has been content simply thinking this nice man in the aqua-colored truck plays music each night for us to dance to. We have never bought anything since ice cream is a huge no-no in Averyland.

After an especially hard afternoon full of clumsy toddler head bumps and running falls, I decided to enlighten my child to the wonderful truth that is the Ice Cream Truck. I figured a popsicle would work... that's just frozen sugar water, right?




WRONG.
You would think that after nearly 2 years of reading every label for every single thing that goes in my daughter's mouth, I would have been more cautious. She ate the entire PushPop before I realized she was breaking out in welts. Right smack on the front of the packaging it says "A frozen dairy concoction."

Dang it! I just poisoned my own kid with a popsicle.


4 comments:

Leah said...

Sorry friend, hope her little belly didn't suffer too much either. You are a great Mama - we all have our oops moments!

Oma said...

Now at least you know she hasn't outgrown the allergy yet!! Looks like she thoroughly enjoyed being in "ice cream heaven"!!

Opa said...

Picture of the unadulterated, unjaded, thrill, and joy of a first ice cream pop. Sure hope she grows out of the dairy allergy!! Life is harder without ice cream!

Heidi said...

Is it the lactose or something else? I accidentally bought a lactose-free breyers the other day that turned out to be pretty good. Here's the link if it's something that might work for her:) http://www.breyers.com/products/All-Natural/Lactose-Free-Vanilla.aspx