Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Entry 14.

Sleeping in - my definition of a great morning. Follow that with, hands down, one of the best massages I have ever had (at half the US cost!). A short stroll to the MCM coffee house for a patio lunch. Spent the rest of today walking thru downtown Paarl, main street and side streets. Enjoyed a day left to my own devices...

The most influential architectural style here is called Cape Dutch. Essentially a version of traditional dutch style. Many buildings in town still maintain a traditional thatched roof.

While I did take many more photos of buildings and greenery, I thought it would be more interesting to share with you the things I found curious about my walk. One thing about visiting a place where no one knows you, is that you can whip out the camera and not really care if people think you're odd for photographing the mundane.

In lieu of emergency exit signs, S. Africa has these little green arrows everywhere. I like that the guy is clearly hauling ass out of there.

Sidewalk underwear sale! This is definitely where I will be picking out my next panties, for sure.
Paarl's version of the dollar store: Mr. 5 Rand Store (that'd be a 66 cent store in the usa)

These handsome chaps indulged my request for a photo. All public school kids here are required to wear uniforms. Aren't they snazzy?

Just for the record, South African jellybeans are nasty. Too mushy and weird flavors. Couldn't find a Jelly Belly to save my life. If I ever had to live here the only saving grace would be their Spearmint Mentos. In the US we only have the peppermint and fruit ones, but Spearmint is, in my opinion, far superior. I bought the whole box.
Don't judge me!
Speaking of food... it would be a shame to come all the way here and not try some local fare. Here are a few things I found photo-worthy.

For the first time I ate lamb - liked it! It was served with traditional samp & beans.
Fish and chips at the waterfront. Not all that unusual, although it's the first time I ever had to de-bone a fish. Good thing Gary is the expert on such things...
If lobster bisque is on the menu, I have to try it. This was at the restaurant at the Cape of Good Hope. The taste was all-right, but consistency was a bit thin and I couldn't find any lobster chunks to save my life.
One evening, Gary grilled up some Boerewors (farmer's sausage) and Ostrich fillets. Did you know ostrich is a red meat?! It is incredibly lean and tastes just like a beef fillet. For whatever reason, I have also drunk my weight in orange Fanta these past 2 weeks.
Dinner tonight at the fancy restaurant, Terre Mare. Wasn't exactly expecting my entree to have eyes...

3 comments:

Oma said...

You're makin' me hungry!!

Leah said...

I'll know to hit you up for some mentos when you are back!

Rebecca McGahey said...

You have to pick me up a pair of those panties! ;) Cheers to being an adventurous food eater while traveling!!

I love the school boys in shorts and knee highs! Can't you just picture the guys we went to high school with dressed like that!