Finally, the blog you've all been waiting for! The mural is complete and gracing its permanent home!

This is pre-install. The container sits at the edge of the Monte Christo Ministry's Sports fields. It is used as the dressing room/game plan study site for the city's soccer team : Paarl United.

Installing this work was no easy task. It took four men to hold the weight of each board.

This is Jos, my installation professional. I literally thought I might be sick and had to walk away when they started drilling holes through all our hard work. BUT, in the end, Jos took his work seriously, measured everything beautifully, and hung each piece to perfection.

"From Paarl United to Bafana Bafana." That is the name of the mural. It shows a progression of kids playing street ball, wearing the local team's logo, to a youth practicing her skills in front of the South African flag...

... and ends with fans cheering on the professional S. African soccer team, Bafana Bafana (in the yellow). You can see the Table Mountain landscape on the far right, which of course includes Cape Town Stadium.

Ursula and I - view from the main road that runs by the fields.
So proud of the final product! I hope it inspires kids here to dream big and work hard towards their goals.


... and ends with fans cheering on the professional S. African soccer team, Bafana Bafana (in the yellow). You can see the Table Mountain landscape on the far right, which of course includes Cape Town Stadium.

Ursula and I - view from the main road that runs by the fields.

So proud of the final product! I hope it inspires kids here to dream big and work hard towards their goals.

A HUGE thank-you to all of you who helped my dream become reality. Thanks to Matt, for encouraging me to buy the expensive plane ticket, take on a new challenge, and earn a pin on our map that's all my own. Thanks to my parents for happily taking Avery for 2 weeks of Camp OmaOpa, so that I could have time to enjoy my art again and regain the adventurous part of me that had been all but lost in mommyhood. Thanks to my small group ladies for contributing the funds for the supplies. Your generosity not only covered all the mural necessities, but also paid for the repainting of the entire container, the KFC dinner blessing for Ursula's family, and a small gift of art supplies to keep that young woman motivated to use her God-given talents to better her world. Thank you to the Hellings for housing me, feeding me, being my tour guides, my taxi drivers, my friends, my source of laughter and wisdom while in S. Africa. And thanks to all of you reading... it has been wonderful sharing my experiences with you. But don't tune out yet! I have 3 more days here and a few more fascinating things to share...
10 comments:
Spectacular!
Awesome job!! How wonderful that God has given you an amazing talent to inspire others!
I have been so looking forward to seeing the final project, and I was not disappointed! It is beautiful! You are one talented gal!! Thank you for sharing all your experiences in such a far off land, a place that I probably will never get to, but I feel like I have learned so much from your postings!!!'--Mary Ann Amstutz
Wow! Absolutely amazing Hayley!
It looks fantastic. What a wonderful gift you have given them. You have clearly left your mark on South Africa and I suspect they have also left a mark on you by the people you have met and things you have seen. PS: Camp OmaOpa is savoring the last few days with Avery and will dearly miss her when she goes home to San Diego.
WOW... Baby your amazing!
So amazing!!! I love it!! Great job! Your work is truely inspirational!
WOW! WOW! AND WOW! It is amazing what you can do and in such a short time. Praise God for the gifts He has given you and Praise God even more for putting it on your heart to share your gifts for others to enjoy and hopefully be inspired by. I hope your artistic "genes" have been passed down to Avery. You and your helpers did a great job! Thanks for keeping us posted on the art work, the country, some of the culture and culinary delights. I've enjoyed the journey from the comfort of my Dad's office chair and home computer. I am thankful you were given this incrediable opportunity and even more greatful you were willing to go! Can't wait to hear your stories, in person. Great! Great! Job. Have a safe and quick trip back home. Hey, between the adventures of you and Matt, and your writing skills, I can see a book in your future, hmmmmmmmmm what do you think?
Hayley that is fabulous! You are so incredibly talented, and I am so glad that you were able to take this opportunity... You will never forget it.
So amazing! I'm so thrilled to see the final product. I still cannot BELIEVE you did that!
Post a Comment