Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Roma . Giorno Tre

Wednesday morning we spent an hour or more at Campo di Fiori, one of Rome's oldest open aire markets. It's a lively mix of fresh produce and incredibly delish-looking pasta/sauces. There are also many tourist-oriented cheap souvenir stands with bobble-headed Popes and cheesy t-shirts.

Cheyenne was a quick favorite of the older local men, scoring free cherries, strawberries and melon bites along the way...

Believe it or not, this is actually a photo of Cheyenne saying, No I do not want to pose with these flowers or carry them home. ha ha ha...

Jim & Laura (our fantastic hosts, whom I still have yet to photograph) were so sweet and took Cheyenne for the whole afternoon so Stef and I could wander the city. We crossed the river over to Trastavere in search of "the best pizza place in Rome" (according to Katie Kelly).

We found Dar Poeta a bit off the main drag in this tiny back alley. I love how almost all Roman dining is al fresco. While the pizza was good and they had the most topping options of any place I've been yet, I have to honestly say I don't love true Italian pizza. It's super thin, you have to ask for them to use tomato sauce, and it always comes entirely uncut - leaving you to try and hack it with a steak knife. Um, hello... anyone heard of pizza cutter here?!

We walked off lunch, visiting the Piazza del Campidoglio ( I don't know how to pronounce it either! ), designed by Michelangelo.

I wonder if the old folks from Canada knew they were gonna have to wear matching bright orange vests before they paid for their tour. I would have demanded a refund.





Final stop before hitting up the gelato shop was Italy's version of the Tomb of the Unknown Solider. This monument is massive, just look at those tiny guards at the bottom for reference.

1 comment:

kim said...

Whoa! The colors are amazing. So beautiful! I really need to get back there.