Friday, June 10, 2011

Florence . Artsy Fartsy

Day two in Florence was full of artist eye candy. For years I've studied art history and read about the Italian masters, but to actually see Michaelangelo's original work was incredible. I sat in the Accademia Gallery for over an hour sketching David and could have stayed longer. Can you believe he sculpted this at age 26?! Genius. 

There are security personnel specifically there to shout "NO FOTOS!!!" to anyone attempting a pic of the famous hottie, but with the girls' help I snuck a couple. And the people's heads in this picture give a great perspective of just how big he is.


He has a great backside! ;)

For lunch we found a local panini joint called Oil Shoppe and munched some seriously phenomenal sandwiches. Coolest thing about this place is that once the fresh bread is gone for the day, they literally put out a sign that says "Out of bread, see you tomorrow" and close up shop. We were lucky and got there just a few customers before the sign went up.

The Florence Duomo (cathedral) rises high above the city and is gorgeously designed with green & white stone.

Paintings inside the dome ceiling were pretty impressive, especially at 295 feet up!

Next stop - Uffizi Gallery. Spent over two hours wandering the rooms. Almost every one had a painting I recognized by Da Vinci, Raphael, Caravaggio, Michaelangelo, and Botticelli. 

Sandro Botticelli's Birth of Venus is probably the most famous work there. The only thing I found disappointing was, after years of seeing the paintings vividly reproduced in textbooks, the actual works were much darker and less vibrant. But, they are 500+ years old, so I'm not entirely sure what I expected!

Dinner with the girls, laughing about the day together.

No comments: