Monday, July 26, 2010

Entry 6.


I am not going to lie to you. Winter in South Africa is cold. Not deep-fridgid Alaska or Montana cold, but definitely dipping-into-the-low-30's-at-night cold, easily-see-your-breathe-in-the-morning cold, wear-your-scarf-hat-and-gloves cold. And the difference between Montana and Paarl, is that there is no central heating here. None. So you do not simply go inside to warm yourself up. Even the radiant space heater that has been cranking in my flat ALL day is just barely keeping the chill off. As I write this at 10pm it's about 45 degrees outside and I am indoors wearing a long sleeve shirt, a sweatshirt, a scarf, a winter hat, jeans, socks and sneakers.

My fingers are almost popsicles. Must keep... typing... to keep... fingers... warm...

Other than fighting the nippy warehouse air all morning, it was a fairly successful mural day. With my trusty sidekick cranking out the green paint and myself working on endless skintone details, we powered through 8 hours of painting. It may not look much different from our last session, but cold air prolongs the drying time and the ability to re-coat colors quickly. Overall, I am satisfied with the progress.

2 comments:

Oma said...

Lookin' good hon...I see the amazing progress you've made!! Keep up the good work and stay warm!

Eli Jen Makenzie and Kennedy said...

Looking good!!! Keep up the great work, can't wait to see it finished!!