Another Unisom pill helps with the jetlag and I sleep a few hours at the hotel before my 5am wake-up call. A quick breakfast, shuttle to the Joburg airport, and hop on the 8am bound for Cape Town. Perhaps it was my charming good looks or a simple courtesy due to yesterday’s delays, but for some unexplained reason they upgrade me to business class. I’d like to imagine it was the former.
I have to admit I pre-judged my seat buddy. A rotund man in his mid-50s with thin wire glasses, a bushy beard, and wearing a rather dowdy looking sweater vest under his suit jacket. His eyes were the most unusual thing I’ve ever seen; deep chocolate brown center ringed first by an icy blue, then a deep blueish/purple. Upon being served an in-flight breakfast he asked to have my butter for his bread roll. I clearly wasn’t using it, but thought him odd nonetheless. I took him for a boring British professor. Half-right. Professor at one point, yes. British, no. He is the now head of the South African National Archives and definitely the least boring person I’ve encountered so far. He has held private meetings with Nelson Mandela twice, traveled all around the world acquiring S.A. artifacts, and is currently on his way to Cape Town to make a presentation to Parliament regarding a new Protection of Information Bill. We spend the remainder of the 2 hour flight talking all about South African history, culture, and people. Truly an educational God-send to a clueless chick from California.
Marnelle Helling (leader of the charitable ministry, long time family friend, and my hostess with the mostess) meets me past baggage claim. Walking outside we are greeted by a gorgeous, warm, sunny afternoon. It is the dead of winter here, after all, but apparently they are having unusually splendid weather. As we drive 45 minutes northeast to Paarl, I am surprised by how much the greenery looks similar to California. Eucalyptus trees and low shrub brush. If it weren’t for the wild horses running along the shoulder, the vendors selling fish along the highway, or the fact that we’re driving on the left side of the median, I could just as easily be cruising Hwy 8 East towards Santee. It’s a strange mix of 1st and 3rd world elements.
My private “flat” above the garage is very lovely. A full kitchen, bath, beds, couch and patio. Quickly I unpack and spend the rest of the mid-day hours purchasing additional mural supplies. Francisco gives me an official tour of all the Monte Christo Ministry locales and programs. The scope of this ministry is entirely larger than I imagined.
A bite to eat at La Romantica - the Helling’s favorite local eatery - gives Marnelle and I time to catch up on life. It’s been 10 years since we’ve talked in person, so there is much to say. The air is brisk and a light drizzle begins as I turn in for the night. Tomorrow we start the art.
Flying out of Joburg







2 comments:
I have no idea what you are doing in South Africa, but I'm totally excited to read about the adventures!
Wow, it looks beautiful! You know Tim will be sooo jealous of the skeleton keys:o)
Post a Comment