Saturday, July 31, 2010

Entry 11.

Paarl and the surrounding cities are the South African equivalent of California's Napa Valley wine region. Hillside after hillside, vineyards litter the landscape - some dating back to the 17th century. Sky scraping mountains tower over endless green acres... simply awe-inspiring scenery. Although I do not drink wine, we enjoyed lunch overlooking this view. And I learned a few things about wine culture from my (self-proclaimed) wine snob friends!
Calla lilies grow wild in the fields all over the countryside.
(Thanks Gary for the risky pull-off a busy highway so I could get this shot!)
Today just keeps getting better! Next we visited with the local wildlife at the Birds of Prey Encounter. Love their gorgeous amber eyes... Instead of being fenced in, all the birds were tethered so you could get very close. Much more exciting than an American zoo.

Even at the Cheetah Outreach Center, the fences are easier to see through. This beauty walked right up to us.
It's not every day that you get to pet a cheetah. Nice kitty!

1 comment:

Leah said...

SO COOL! Can't wait to see the mural.