Ok. Let's just be honest here - I don't run. Do not be misled by my post title to think I am some kind of an athlete or something. In fact, the closest thing I've ever done to a "real race" was saying "On your mark, Get set, GO!..." and then letting Avery beat me to the mailbox.BUT, knowing that our time here in San Diego may be limited, I've decided to try and live fully in this wonderful city we call home. That includes signing up for my very first REAL race. The Coronado Bridge Run is the only annual chance you have to cross the Coronado Bridge on foot, as the bridge is typically closed to non-suicidal pedestrians. I tried to convince some friends to do it with me, but alas, they slacked and it sold out before they registered. Already I knew this would be interesting trying to do such a race with 2 kids on my own...
The day got off to a panicky start when my alarm did not go off as planned and I woke up an hour later than intended! Good thing I had intended to wake up at 4:45a. Concerned about the parking situation with 10,000 fellow participants vying for a spot, I mad-dashed us all out of the house in 20 min. I must be "clean livin'" because the parking angels saved us a spot right up front at the finish line. Hallelujah!
With Lear in the front pack, Avery walking alongside, and the double stroller packed we boarded the bus to take us from Coronado back over the bay to the starting line at the San Diego Convention Center. After feeding Lear and asking Avery multiple times if she needed to pee, we were all set. Literally, as the air horn blares for the race to begin, Avery looks up and says, "Mommy, I lied to you. I have to got potty really bad." Seriously?!
After 15 min locating and utilizing the port-a-potties, we are now joining the race at the back of this massive crowd. As previously stated - not a runner... but I really did want to jog/power walk to try and get a decent time (decent for me anyways).
Check out all those people!!!
We get on the bridge and the views are awesome. Both over the edge and of my cutie-patooties in the front. I won't lie - pushing 50lbs of kids and 34lbs of stroller up that incline was no joke.

I'm still attempting to jog/power walk through the crowds and we're about 1/4 up the bridge when it happens. Avery barfs. Yup. All over her jeans and hands and the front of the stroller. For posterity (and proof) I took a picture, but will spare you the photographic details. She's had a wicked cough the last couple days and I think she just got coughing so hard that she gagged. Suffice to say that I had to stop and wet-wipe that whole mess down the best I could.
By now we are in the waaaaay back. How you can tell you're in the waaaaay back? Well, we are now walking next to a blind lady with her guide dog and a dude in a wheelchair with no legs and one arm. THAT IS NOT A LIE. I would have taken pictures of them, but figured that'd be a tad rude. Although I guess the blind lady wouldn't have noticed...
Oh yeah, and the trolley that's supposed to be bringing up the rear - passes you. :(
At this point I give up all dreams of attaining a "decent time" and decide to take pictures instead...
Avery decides to walk for a bit too.
And, heck, while we're in the VERY back, might as well see how many photos we can get together by asking perfect strangers to snap us.
1- At the top, 273 ft above the water.
2- Notice the empty bridge?! ;)
3-
4 -
5 - The most important one! Finish Line with two cranky, hungry kids. Does that timer clock say 1 hour 58 min? Yes it does. But let's shave off about 25 minutes for the whole pee/puke situations. A solid 1.5 hours to go 4 miles. Hey, we had a blast and I still don't claim to be a runner. ;)














1 comment:
LOVE IT!!! So awesome, I will have to do it next year!
Post a Comment