Sunday, October 13, 2013

Ferry Flexible

On Fridays when the weather cooperates, I've taken to jog-walking around our neighborhood with Lear in the stroller and Avery on her razor scooter. As we were chatting about life, Avery randomly says, "Mom, I would really like to ride a ferry. Can we go today?" I knew that I had laundry piled up and a grocery list to make and vacuuming to do, but today I felt like forgetting all that and saying yes.

A google "ferry" search, sandwich lunches in the car, and an hour later we were at the Norfolk docks. We rounded the corner just as the boat was pulling away.

DSC_2231

Fortunately, it returns every 30 minutes, so we took pics with the "locals" and hunted down a money machine since the ferry requires exact change and I rarely carry cash. The closest ATM was inside a Hooters restaurant and while the bartender made change for my $20, Avery whispers to me, "Why are they all working in their bathing suits?" Modesty lesson!

DSC_2232

The Elizabeth River Ferry is an old school paddlewheel boat complete with steam stacks. Avery was in charge of counting out our fare. Math lesson! We then chose seats on the upper deck for the best view.

ferry
DSC_2242

Lear was very unsure of the whole experience, glued to my lap as far away from the railing as possible. My adventurous first born, on the other hand, wanted to see it all.

DSC_2244
DSC_2302
DSC_2249

A 15 minute ride dropped us at the dock near old town Portsmouth where we spent 2 hours discovering the wonders of High Street. Did you know the old bike with the giant front wheel is called a Penny Farthing? History lesson! Had a little science lesson on sundials and telling time, too.

sundial

Joy in the form of a random sidewalk piano with a "play me" sign. Not really a music lesson, but music to my ears for sure.

DSC_2271

Couldn't pass up two sweet smiley requests for ice cream. Fine motor skill lesson!

DSC_2289

Strolling along in the sunshine with no particular schedule or timeline was glorious. It had been entirely too long since I'd spent an entire afternoon just enjoying my kids. Why do I do that? Why do I get so tangled in my menial "jobs" that I overlook the bigger picture?

Moral of the story: sometimes when your daughter asks - say yes. Even if it's inconvenient. A tiny bit of flexibility and willingness to fly with the whims of a 4 year old just may turn into the best day you've had in a very long time.

The sundial said it all, "Time takes all but memories." Best to spend more of that time making them.

DSC_2237

No comments: