Tuesday, October 9, 2012

No Smore's?!

PA060001

When Matt told me that he and his buddy Tyrone wanted to take Avery on an overnight camping trip, I was like, "Ok, yeah. Awesome." Then he casually mentioned it was wilderness camping. As in - hike in 3 miles, no bathrooms, carry all your gear in a pack, one man tent, no campfires allowed, in the woods, hike out 3 miles - kind of camping. With a 3 year old. Whoa... that's brave.

The entire week before, Avery was PUMPED. She helped me pack her backpack full of the necessities: cheddar goldfish, fruit snacks, her magnifying glass, pjs, jacket, change of clothes, and of course one dolly.

And according to both her and Matt, the trip was a complete success! She hiked about a mile herself - lucky to have a strapping Dad to carry her otherwise. They hunted for insects, learning that red ants bite and black ones don't. She stole Tyrone's apple for dinner, was a champ about the chilly night (35 degrees!), and generally had a super attitude about the entire adventure. Only slightly disappointed that they weren't allowed to have a campfire (and thus no smore's), Avery was easily consoled by dehydrated astronaut ice-cream. Good call on that one, Tyrone! She was also especially proud to come home and tell me, "I peed in the woods!"

PA060003
PA060010PA060017
 PA060012
PA070042
PA070043
  PA070045 

 Lear also had a special moment with Daddy this week:

1 comment:

Mom said...

These entries are priceless!!!!! The "Man Band" is hysterical!!! I found myself cracking up throughout the day everytime I thought about it. The trip with Avery and Daddy was such a neat experience for them both and will prove to be even more meaningful as time goes by. Matt, I am proud of you for including your daughter on this trip. I know it was a bit more work but making her a priority will reap great rewards. This was definitly a "thumbs up" move! Good going, Love Mom