Sunday, January 2, 2011

The End of 20Ten

Welcome to 20eleven! 
The last couple weeks of 20ten were a cozy time of family and friends. We spent Christmas here in San Diego, just the 3 of us. Avery enjoyed opening her gifts, talking about Santa, and made us smile with her daily renditions of "Happy Birthday Baby Jesus." 

Two days after Christmas, Opa & Oma came to SD to spend time with Avery. So, Matt and I did the only logical thing in that situation - got the heck outta dodge for some quality couple time. We met up with our good friends Stef and Ed in Northern Arizona for some hiking and snow play.

We hiked 12.4 miles roundtrip down into and back out of the Grand Canyon. With an elevation change of 3,000 feet in both directions and hiking continuously for over 6 hours, it was admittedly the most difficult physical thing I've ever done.

But the views were astonishingly worth every step...


We almost got snowed-in in Flagstaff with overnight blizzards dropping 24" of powder. Can you believe this is in Arizona???



Rarely can I recall a New Years Eve that I made it to midnight; this year was no exception. When you live in California, watching the ball drop in New York at 9pm Pacific time usually suffices. I, after all, have a child that is happy to meet the day at 6am, regardless of whether or not I am. Oma & Opa joined us Jan 1 for our new New Years Day tradition - a brunch of homemade Ebelskivers (filled pancakes)!

2 comments:

Leah said...

Amazing shots from the grand canyon Hayley! Looks like a great time, but I got awful tired after reading "12.4 miles at 3,000ft". You go girl!

Rebecca McGahey said...

Sounds like an awesome Christmas and New Year!! Love the pictures!