With only 2 days left until the movers come to pack up our life here in Arizona, I can't help but reflect on how remarkably this new life direction has developed.
For about 4 years now Matt has been hinting at a desire to return to the Navy, a notion I fought tooth and nail for fear that it is not an ideal family situation. But after seeing him merely tolerate other professions he thought he might enjoy I am convinced that God built my husband for a certain type of work not readily found in the private sector. After nearly a year of debates and conversations we finally decided on a return to the service. With several major road blocks in sight, I was not entirely convinced that this was the direction God wanted for our family. So I prayed that He would make it clear whether or not this is the right choice. The following is an order of events too powerful to ignore:
For about 4 years now Matt has been hinting at a desire to return to the Navy, a notion I fought tooth and nail for fear that it is not an ideal family situation. But after seeing him merely tolerate other professions he thought he might enjoy I am convinced that God built my husband for a certain type of work not readily found in the private sector. After nearly a year of debates and conversations we finally decided on a return to the service. With several major road blocks in sight, I was not entirely convinced that this was the direction God wanted for our family. So I prayed that He would make it clear whether or not this is the right choice. The following is an order of events too powerful to ignore:
- Oct 22 - Matt goes in to sign his Naval contract. We are assured an assignment in San Diego, the one place I really wanted to be. Matt's pay will allow me to be home with Avery and pursue my art on the side. Due to unique circumstances he is granted a signing bonus not typically given to returning veterans. The money covers his significant flight school loans in full... not a penny more or a penny less.
- Oct 23 - Still on maternity leave, I get a phone call from the President of my design firm: I've been laid off along with 75% of the rest of the firm. No severance is given and we lose our health insurance in a week.
- Oct 31 - The day we would have been without health insurance, the Navy's full health coverage kicks in. Not only are we covered 100%, but even Avery's pediatrician is a preferred provider and we don't have to switch doctors.
- Nov 4 - Unable to sell our home due to market conditions, I begin stressing out about the looming task of renting it. In casual conversation with an ex-interior designer friend from work, she mentions her husband and her really want to get out of their apartment. Their lease ends in March - the exact time we want to move. We work out a 2 year lease with them. No third party rental agencies, no complicated out-of-state transactions, and no strangers living in our home. We can even stay in our own guest room if we visit! :)
- Nov 26 - Matt is home for Thanksgiving weekend for the first time in 5 years.
- Dec 14 - In limbo between training rotations, Matt is home a week before Avery's first Christmas and for nearly 2 weeks following.
- Feb 14 - After a safe drive to CA with Avery, we start hunting for housing in San Diego. It is majorly depressing. We saw 12 places in 2 days: 90% of which don't allow dogs and only 3 units I would even consider safe enough to live in. One condo is head and shoulders above the rest. Although small (like everything in our price range), it's floor plan is spacious with gorgeous remodeled kitchen/baths, 2 car garage, 2 blocks to Balboa park, and 10 min drive to downtown, beaches, and Matt's work. Unfortunately, there was already an application in on it before us. However, we just happen to be there on a day the owner/landlord is coming by. Unlike the other applicants, we meet him in person. Come to find out he's an interior designer who knows one of my former co-workers in AZ and he also has done design work for one of the SEAL team big-wigs. A connection is formed and we get the condo, even though the other application should have had first dibs!
- March 28 - The new condo is great, but it doesn't allow dogs. The thought of giving up Aspen is totally heartbreaking. But I know it's not fair to her to be stuck in a 900 sq ft condo all day while we're out chillin' at the beach or the zoo or traveling to see family in N. CA. She is such a loving, well-trained, good dog that I dread giving her to a shelter or putting her on Craigslist for some unknown people to take. How can you just give away your first "kid"? Long story short - A family my friend Brittany knows has been looking for a dog. They have always had boxers, so they love the personality type. They live in a pseudo-mansion on an acre lot in just the next city over. With two boys, ages 5 & 7, Aspen has met her match in endless energy. The first night she was there, the older boy actually ended up sleeping on her dog bed with her! It's the final and most emotional piece of a life-change puzzle. They are a perfect match and Aspen will be so happy living out her life with them.
How do I know God exists? Because I simply do not believe in that much coincidence. All this has me so excited to see what else He has in store for us as we follow His lead!
"Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you."- Psalm 9:10
Aspen's last photo with us & first photo with her new family - the Felkers!
4 comments:
I could not agree more.
Amen, Hayley. God rewards those who seek him...I'm so excited to see the works that God has & will do in your lives!!!
I am such a sap when it comes this stuff. That made me cry. It is so amazing the work that God does in this world for those who believe. I am so glad that everything has worked out so great for you and Matt. Good luck in San Diego and keep posting so I can see how little Avery grows up.
God is so cool! I love it when He does stuff like that!
Post a Comment